Skip to main content

How to Teach a Golden Retriever to Crawl Under Obstacles – Step-by-Step Guide to the "Army Crawl" Trick

Golden retriever crawling under owner's bent legs during under the bridge trick training

I remember the exact moment I realized my golden retriever, Murphy, needed something more than just long walks. I was standing in my living room staring at what used to be a perfectly good couch cushion. Fluff everywhere. The little stinker had shredded it while I was in the shower. Fifteen minutes. That's all it took.

At first, I honestly thought longer walks were the answer. I started taking him on two-hour hikes. Turns out I was accidentally building an athlete. He came home from those walks more amped up than when we left. His energy wasn't the problem – his brain was starving for something to do.

That's when I stumbled onto teaching him to crawl under things. And I'm not talking about some fancy competition trick. I'm talking about a simple, practical skill that ended up solving more behavior problems than I ever expected.

How do I teach my golden retriever to crawl under obstacles?

You start the trick by attracting your dog with a high-value treat. The simplest way is to sit on the floor with bent knees forming a bridge (as described by the American Kennel Club, "Under the Bridge"). Lure your dog with the treat to the other side of your legs and encourage them to crawl underneath you. You can slowly make things harder by lowering the height of the obstacle, such as using a chair or coffee table. Golden Retrievers often learn this trick quickly because they are highly food-motivated and eager to please.

Table of Contents

Sit on the floor with your knees bent to form a "bridge." Lure your dog under your legs with a high-value treat, rewarding the moment they crawl through. Once they understand the concept, gradually introduce obstacles like chairs or coffee tables. Keep sessions under 5 minutes and always end on a success. Most goldens learn this in 3-5 short sessions because they're naturally inclined to crawl.

Why This Trick Matters More Than You Think

It is a fact that Golden Retrievers are intelligent dogs, sometimes frustratingly intelligent. And when intelligent dogs aren't given enough mental stimulation, they come up with ways of entertaining themselves. More often than not, this leads to the destruction of your stuff, whether your shoes, your baseboards, or maybe even your sofa cushions.

Getting your golden used to going under and through obstacles isn't just a clever trick you pull off for show at parties. It gives them confidence, improves body awareness, and most importantly, gives them something to do. They were bred to work alongside people, and they truly need that kind of mental challenge. For Murphy, the difference became obvious once he started doing it.

The American Kennel Club recommends trick training as an excellent way to provide mental stimulation and notes that tricks like crawling can even count toward AKC Trick Dog titles – the Novice title only requires 10 different trick cues.

The Science Behind Why It Works

When a dog focuses on solving a physical problem like crawling under an obstacle, their brain enters a state of active problem-solving. This mental engagement triggers the release of calming neurotransmitters, which reduces stress and anxiety-driven behaviors like destructive chewing and excessive barking. In other words, you're not just teaching a trick – you're giving their brain a workout that leaves them genuinely tired and satisfied.

And let's be real – we've all had those rainy days when we're stuck indoors with a hyperactive dog. This is the perfect solution.

What You'll Need Before You Start

Before diving in, gather a few things:

  • High-value treats – something smelly and irresistible. Cheese, boiled chicken, or those stinky training treats work best. Regular kibble probably won't cut it. The AKC recommends using treats or toys your dog is genuinely excited about.
  • A quiet space – minimal distractions so your dog can actually focus.
  • Patience – and I mean genuine patience, not the frustrated kind where you're secretly counting down the minutes.

One thing I learned the hard way? Don't start this when your dog is already wound up. Burn off some of that initial energy with a quick walk or a game of fetch first. A tired golden is a trainable golden.

Step 1: Start With Your Legs (The "Under the Bridge" Method)

This is the easiest way to introduce the concept, and it's the method recommended by AKC trainers. Sit on the floor with your legs straight out in front of you, then bend your knees so your feet are flat on the ground. Your bent legs create a little tunnel – a "bridge" for your dog to crawl under.

Get your dog on one side of your legs. Hold a treat in your hand on the other side, down at floor level. Let them smell it, then slowly move your hand under your legs. Most dogs will naturally lower their body to follow the treat.

The moment they start moving under – even if it's just their head – praise them and give the treat. Don't wait for them to complete the whole thing at first. Baby steps.

I'll be honest – Murphy looked at me like I was insane the first time. He tried to go around my legs instead of under them. I had to physically block the sides with my arms so his only option was through. Once he figured it out, though, he was obsessed.

Pro tip: If your golden is on the bigger side and hesitant to get low enough to fit under your knees, look for any space that's big enough for them to go under – like a chair that's high off the ground – and start with that. Once they're comfortable with this, it will be easier to teach them to crawl under your knees.

Step 2: Add the Verbal Cue

After your dog has successfully crawled under your legs a handful of times, start adding a word. You can say "through," "bridge," or "under" – whatever feels natural. I use "under."

Say the word right as they're starting to move. Then reward. After a few repetitions, try saying it before they move. If they respond correctly, jackpot with extra treats and praise.

Don't rush this part. Some dogs pick up the verbal cue in a day or two. Others take a week. Murphy took about four days before he reliably responded to "under" – and even then, he'd occasionally look at me like he was speaking Martian.

Step 3: Introduce Real Obstacles

Once your dog understands the concept, it's time to level up. Look around your house for things they can crawl under:

  • Coffee tables – if they're tall enough for your dog to fit comfortably
  • Dining chairs – line them up to create a longer tunnel
  • Your bed – if it's low to the ground
  • A broomstick resting on two chairs – creates a low bar to crawl under
  • Pillows and blankets – great for creating a soft, low obstacle course

Start with the easiest obstacle first. Lure them through with a treat, just like you did with your legs. Gradually work up to lower, more challenging obstacles.

💡 Pro Tip: Build an Indoor Obstacle Course

Golden retriever crawling under a coffee table during indoor obstacle course training
Once your golden has mastered crawling, take it to the next level by setting up an indoor obstacle course. Clear a space in your living room or basement and create a course using pillows, blankets, and furniture. Encourage your Golden Retriever to jump over, crawl under, and weave through the obstacles. This engages both their mind and body, keeping them entertained and physically active – perfect for those days when you can't get outside.

Here's something I wish someone had told me: don't force it. If your dog seems scared or uncertain, back up to an easier version. Pushing them through an obstacle they're nervous about can create a fear response that's really hard to undo. I learned this when I tried to get Murphy under a coffee table that was just a little too low. He scraped his back, got spooked, and refused to go near that table for two weeks.

Step 4: Build Duration and Distance

Now the real fun begins. Once your dog is confidently crawling under obstacles, start extending the distance. Instead of just going under a chair, have them crawl under a row of chairs. Instead of a quick pass under your legs, ask them to pause halfway through before continuing.

You can also start moving the obstacle around – practice in different rooms, different locations. The goal is to generalize the behavior so your dog understands "under" means under anything, anywhere.

AKC trainers suggest that once your dog is consistently performing the trick, you can stop luring them under and instead just give the verbal cue, then praise and treat after they complete the behavior.

Murphy's favorite? Crawling under the picnic table at the park. People always stop and watch, and he absolutely eats up the attention.

Step 5: Work Toward AKC Trick Dog Recognition

If you want to take things even further, crawling is one of the tricks that can count toward AKC Trick Dog titles. The Novice Trick Dog title only requires 10 different trick cues, and crawling is a great one to include. You can even create a trick routine – a series of tricks strung together to create a little performance. It's a fun way to build your dog's confidence and impress your friends and family.

Troubleshooting: When Things Don't Go According to Plan

Hand holding a treat to lure a golden retriever to crawl under a chair

"My dog just lies down and won't move"

This is actually pretty common. Some dogs, especially bigger ones, get confused about what you're asking. Try this: instead of luring them under something, lure them through something. Use two chairs with a gap between them – your dog walks through the gap, not under anything. Then gradually lower the "ceiling" by draping a blanket over the chairs. They'll naturally lower their body to get through.

"My dog only crawls if I have a treat in my hand"

Welcome to the club. This is called "lure dependency," and it's fixable. Start phasing out the treat – show the treat, then hide it behind your back while giving the verbal cue. If your dog completes the behavior, reward from your pocket. Gradually reduce how often you show the treat beforehand.

"My golden is too big for this"

Goldens are medium-large dogs, but most can absolutely learn to crawl. The key is starting with obstacles that are plenty tall enough. Don't expect a 90-pound golden to squeeze under a coffee table that's six inches off the ground. Use your legs first – they create a surprisingly tall tunnel – then gradually work lower. If your golden is hesitant to get low enough, start with a chair that's high off the ground and work your way down.

"My dog gets frustrated and gives up"

Keep sessions short. Like, really short. Three to five minutes max. If your dog is getting frustrated, you've pushed too far. End on a success – even if that success is just a simple sit – and try again tomorrow.

Common Mistakes (And How to Avoid Them)

Mistake What happens Better approach
Starting too low too fast Dog gets scared, refuses to try Begin with your bent legs (high tunnel), gradually lower
Using low-value treats Dog loses interest halfway through Use stinky, high-value treats – cheese, chicken, liver
Long training sessions Dog gets bored, frustrated Keep sessions under 5 minutes, multiple times a day
Forcing the dog through Creates fear, damages trust Lure with treats, let the dog choose to go through
Skipping the verbal cue Dog only responds to the lure Add the cue early, use it consistently
Only practicing in one spot Dog doesn't generalize the behavior Practice in different rooms, different locations

Real-World Success Stories

The Shredded Cushion Situation

After Murphy destroyed that couch cushion, I knew I had to do something different. Teaching him to crawl wasn't my first idea – honestly, I was just looking for anything that would tire his brain out. But within a week of regular crawling practice, the destruction stopped. He wasn't bored anymore. He had a job, and he was proud of it.

The Nervous Rescue

A friend of mine adopted a golden who was terrified of everything – doorways, narrow spaces, you name it. She started with the leg bridge method, just a few minutes a day. It took weeks, but eventually that dog was confidently crawling under picnic tables and through tunnels at the dog park. Building confidence through simple tricks is genuinely powerful stuff.

The Rainy Day Savior

Last winter, we had a stretch of about two weeks where it rained nonstop. Murphy was going stir-crazy. I set up an indoor obstacle course in my living room – chairs for weaving, a broomstick for jumping over, and a low coffee table for crawling under. Twenty minutes of that, and he was ready for a nap. No destroyed furniture. No frustrated pacing. Just a tired, happy dog.

Why This Works for Behavior Problems

Here's the connection most people miss. When a golden retriever chews your stuff or barks excessively, it's usually not because they're "bad." It's because they're bored or anxious.

Mental stimulation – real, challenging mental work – burns energy in a way that physical exercise alone can't match. Teaching your dog to crawl under obstacles forces them to think, problem-solve, and coordinate their body. It's exhausting in the best possible way.

I'm not saying this trick will magically fix every behavior problem. But I am saying that a mentally stimulated golden is a happier, calmer golden. And that makes everything else easier.

Building on the Basics

Once your dog has mastered crawling under obstacles, there's a whole world of tricks to explore:

  • Weave through legs – walking in a figure-eight through your legs
  • Back up – walking backward on cue
  • Roll over – classic, but always a crowd-pleaser
  • Find it – scent work games that tap into their natural abilities

The AKC suggests teaching a new trick every week to keep your dog's mind active and engaged. And honestly, it's fun for you too.

Frequently Asked Questions

How long does it take to teach a golden retriever to crawl?

Most goldens pick up the basics within 3-5 short sessions, maybe 10-15 minutes total. They're naturally inclined to crawl – according to professional trainer Babette Haggerty, Golden Retrievers actually crawl instinctively, which makes them easier to teach than many other breeds. Mastery – crawling under different obstacles in different environments – might take a few weeks of consistent practice.

Can older dogs learn to crawl?

Absolutely. Age isn't a barrier as long as your dog is physically comfortable. Just be mindful of joint issues – if your golden has arthritis or hip problems, keep obstacles high and movements gentle. Always check with your vet if you're unsure. As PetMD notes, positive reinforcement training is effective for dogs of all ages.

What if my dog is scared of going under things?

Start incredibly easy. Use a very high "bridge" – like a chair with lots of clearance. Reward any movement toward the obstacle, even if they don't go under. Build confidence slowly. Never force them.

Is this safe for puppies?

Yes, but keep it age-appropriate. Puppies' joints are still developing, so avoid anything that requires them to strain or stretch awkwardly. Keep obstacles high and sessions short. Focus on fun, not perfection.

What are the best treats to use?

Something small, smelly, and high-value. Think boiled chicken, cheese cubes, hot dog pieces, or liver treats. The smellier the better – it needs to compete with your dog's natural instinct to just go around the obstacle.

Can I use this for agility training?

Absolutely. Crawling is a foundational skill for many agility obstacles, including tunnels and low jumps. Starting with basic crawling builds confidence and body awareness that translates directly to more advanced work.

My golden retriever keeps trying to jump over obstacles instead of crawling under. What do I do?

This is super common – goldens are natural jumpers. Start with obstacles that are too low to jump over (like your legs). If they try to jump, gently block the path with your body and lure them under with a treat. Consistency is key here.

Can crawling count toward AKC titles?

Yes! Crawling is one of the tricks that can count toward AKC Trick Dog titles. The Novice Trick Dog title only requires 10 different trick cues.

How often should I practice?

Short and sweet wins every time. Five minutes, twice a day is plenty. Goldens have great attention spans for a retriever, but they still get bored with repetitive training.

Your Action Plan: The TL;DR

  1. Start with your legs – sit on the floor, bend your knees, lure your dog under with a treat
  2. Add the verbal cue – say "under" or "crawl" as they move
  3. Move to real obstacles – chairs, coffee tables, whatever you have around
  4. Build an indoor obstacle course – use pillows, blankets, and furniture for variety
  5. Keep sessions short – 5 minutes max, multiple times a day
  6. Be patient – some dogs get it immediately, others need time
  7. Celebrate small wins – any progress is good progress
  8. Have fun with it – if you're frustrated, your dog will be too

I'm not gonna lie – there were days I wanted to give up on Murphy. Days I stood in my wrecked living room wondering what I'd gotten myself into. But teaching him this one simple skill changed everything. Not because it was magic, but because it gave his brain something to do. Something that was his job.

And honestly? Watching a 75-pound golden retriever army-crawl under a coffee table with the most serious expression on his face? Worth every single shredded cushion.

If you found this article helpful, check out our other articles on mental stimulation games for dogs, DIY indoor obstacle courses, and how to tire out a high-energy golden retriever.

Comments



Follow GoldiePulse

🧡 Pinterest | 💙 Facebook | 🔴 Flipboard | 🦋 Bluesky

Popular posts from this blog

Gentle Brain Games for a 3-Month-Old Golden Retriever: Tired of the “Land Shark” Phase? Here’s What Actually Worked for Me

Easy, Free DIY Mental Stimulation Activities to Stop Biting, Chewing, and Hyperactivity in Your Golden Retriever Puppy. I remember sitting on my kitchen floor, staring at the shredded remnants of what used to be a perfectly good dish towel, while my 3-month-old Golden Retriever, Murphy, sat nearby with that classic “guilty” look—tail tucked, ears back, eyes darting away like he was trying to figure out how to plead the Fifth. Honestly, I wasn’t even mad. I was exhausted. I had already walked him twice. We played fetch in the hallway. I tried the “ignore the biting” thing. Nothing worked. He was still an ankle-biting, furniture-chewing, sleep-depriving little fur missile. And the worst part? I felt like I was failing him. If you’re reading this because your golden is currently trying to eat your baseboards or treating your hands like a chew toy, I get it. Completely. The problem isn’t that your puppy is bad or aggressive. It’s that their brain is growing faster than their bod...

The Staircase Exercise Routine for Golden Retrievers: What I Wish Someone Had Told Me Before I Let My Puppy Near a Single Step

Protect your Golden Retriever's joints from hip dysplasia and arthritis with this complete staircase safety guide I remember the exact moment I realized I might have messed up. My Golden Retriever, Gus, was about four months old. He'd been zooming up and down our basement stairs for weeks—his favorite game was to grab a toy, sprint to the top, drop it, and chase it back down. I thought it was great exercise. He was tired afterward. What could possibly be wrong? Then I mentioned it to my vet during a routine checkup. The look on her face told me everything I needed to know. "How often is he doing that?" I told her. A few times a day. Maybe more. She didn't yell at me. She didn't have to. The concern in her voice was enough. She explained that Goldens are already genetically predisposed to hip and elbow dysplasia. Their joints are developing rapidly during that first year, and repetitive stair climbing—especially the running part—puts a type of str...

So the Weather Is Terrible. Here's How to Actually Tire Out Your Dog Indoors.

It's 6:47 AM. You're not fully awake. Your dog is. He's standing by the door, doing that silent, intense stare that makes you feel like you've already failed him today. You grab the leash. You slip on your shoes. You open the door with the confidence of someone who has a plan. The rain hits the porch like a firehose. Your dog looks outside. His ears drop. He looks back at you with an expression that says, "Absolutely not. I'm not stepping into that." And just like that, your carefully planned morning walk is gone. Now it's just you, a restless animal, and a living room that's about to become either an obstacle course or a crime scene, depending on how this goes. I've been there more times than I can count. I have a Golden Retriever named Gus who once refused to go out in a drizzle for so long that he eventually just sighed and went back to bed. That's fine for a few hours. But by noon, that pent-up energy has to go somewhere. And in...

How to Stop a Golden Retriever from Jumping on Guests: 5 Games That Actually Work

Stop Golden Retriever jumping on guests with these 5 simple brain games that teach calm greetings and impulse control. Tired of your Golden Retriever tackling guests at the door? These 5 brain games and impulse control exercises actually stop jumping—no yelling, no kneeing, just real results. Endorsed by positive reinforcement trainers. The most effective way to stop a Golden Retriever from jumping on guests is to teach an incompatible behavior (like “go to your mat” or “sit”) and practice it with realistic doorbell drills before guests arrive. Combine this with daily impulse control games—like the Treat Scatter, Wait at the Door, and the Name Game—to channel that overwhelming excitement into something productive. Consistency across everyone who enters your home is the real secret. This approach aligns with recommendations from the ASPCA and the American Kennel Club for managing overexcited greetings. Table of Contents The Day I Realized I Was the Problem Why Golden Retrie...

Fun Brain Games for Dogs That Keep Your Pup Happy, Curious, and Mentally Sharp

Most dog owners think a long walk is enough to wear their dog out. Sometimes it is. Sometimes it isn't. Have you ever taken your dog on a 45-minute walk, only to watch them come home ready to sprint around the living room five minutes later? That usually isn't a sign your dog needs more exercise. It often means their brain never really got a workout. Dogs were bred to solve problems. They tracked scents across miles, guarded livestock, retrieved game, and worked beside people every day. Even today's family dog still carries that same curious, hardworking mind. When that mind doesn't get enough to do, dogs create their own entertainment. They bark at every sound, chew shoes, dig holes in the yard, steal socks, or invent games you probably won't enjoy. The good news? You don't need expensive equipment or professional training classes to challenge your dog's brain. A few simple games played for 10 to 20 minutes can leave many dogs more satisfi...

What to Do When It’s Raining and Your Dog Needs to Pee (Without Losing Your Mind)

Proven strategies for rainy day potty training, including mental stimulation games, covered potty areas, and high-value reward techniques for stubborn dogs. Does your dog refuse to go outside when it rains? You're not alone. Here's what actually works when your dog won't pee in the rain—from a trainer who's been there. I remember standing in my backyard at 11 PM with an umbrella in one hand, a leash in the other, and a ninety-pound Golden Retriever planted firmly like a statue at the back door. He'd stuck his nose out, felt one raindrop, and decided he'd rather hold it for the next three days than step onto wet grass. The forecast said rain for the next week. I was exhausted, frustrated, and genuinely worried about his health. If you're reading this because your dog won't go out in the rain to poop, or you're dealing with accidents every time the weather turns, I get it. This isn't just annoying—it's stressful. You're not a bad dog...

The Ultimate Cardboard Box Destruction Box Recipe for Dogs: A Complete Guide That Actually Works

The Ultimate DIY Destruction Box for Dogs – Stop Destructive Chewing Today I remember the exact moment I realized my Golden Retriever, Murphy, had a problem. I'd just gotten home from a quick trip to the grocery store—maybe twenty-five minutes, tops. Walked through the door, and there it was. My favorite throw pillow, the one from the couch I actually liked, was in pieces across the living room floor. Fluff everywhere. The pillowcase had been methodically shredded, and Murphy was sitting right in the middle of the chaos, tail wagging like he'd just completed a major project. I stood there staring at the destruction thinking, How is this dog still not tired? We'd done a forty-five minute walk that morning. He had toys. He had chews. And somehow, my pillow was still the most interesting thing in the house. That was the day I stopped blaming the dog and started looking at what I was not giving him. A cardboard box destruction box for dogs is exactly what it sounds ...

My Golden Retriever Ate My Wallet and I Didn't Even Care

The sound was wrong. Not the usual destructive chaos I'd grown almost immune to, but something wetter. More determined. I set down my coffee—black, two sugars, the mug my sister gave me with the chipped rim—and walked into the living room. There he was. My eighty-pound golden retriever, Finn, sprawled on the beige wool rug my grandmother handed down to me, tongue lapping furiously at the kitchen floor like he was trying to taste through the linoleum. His tail thumped once, twice, a lazy acknowledgment of my presence. He didn't look up. He never looks up when he's locked onto something. I crouched down and saw it. A smear of something brownish, vaguely peanut-butter colored, spread across three floor tiles. Finn's tongue worked the grout lines like he was mining for gold. And that's when I remembered the jar of xylitol-free peanut butter I'd left on the counter that morning. The one I'd used to make myself toast before work. The one I'd meant to put ...

7 Snow Day Indoor Energy Burners for Large Breed Dogs (That Actually Work)

Stuck inside with a restless Golden Retriever or large breed? These 7 vet-approved indoor energy burners actually tire out big dogs—plus 3 quick outdoor snow games for when the weather breaks. I remember the exact moment I realized I had a problem. It was the third snow day in a row. My Golden Retriever, a 75-pound bundle of enthusiasm named Gus, had already demolished a couch cushion, chewed the corner off a coffee table, and was now staring at me with that look—the one that says “I dare you to take me on another walk in this freezing rain.” We’d already done two walks that day. Short ones, sure, but walks nonetheless. And yet there he was, vibrating with unfocused energy, ready to redecorate my living room. At first, I honestly thought longer walks were the answer. Turns out I was accidentally building an athlete. The more we walked, the more endurance he built. I was stuck in a loop, and winter was making it worse. But here’s what the top veterinary behaviorists and the Am...

I remember the exact second I stopped trusting the silence.

I’d been working on his “stay” command for weeks, trying to channel his boundless energy into something more controlled, especially indoors. The rain had been relentless for days, trapping us inside. Our living room had become an obstacle course of pillows and overturned chairs, the air stale with the scent of wet dog and dust. I’d read an article—one of those online things—about distance obedience training games and how they could tire a dog out mentally. It was supposed to be fun. A game. “Gus,” I said softly, nudging his side with my toe. He cracked open one eye, a sliver of warm, chestnut brown. “Get ready, buddy.” He was a creature of habit. He knew the routine. He hopped up, his tail a slow, questioning metronome, and sat at my feet. I held a piece of dried chicken breast, his favorite, and said, “Stay.” I walked backward, slowly, counting the steps. Three. Five. Eight. His eyes were locked on me, unblinking. He was a statue, his muscles quivering with the effort of staying put...