Skip to main content
Loading featured story...

7 DIY Golden Retriever Dog Games That Stopped My Dog From Destroying the House (No Cost)

Golden Retriever sitting next to homemade dog puzzles towel burrito and muffin tin

Stop buying expensive puzzles. These 7 homemade brain games for Golden Retrievers use stuff you already own and actually work.

Updated: June 2026 – After two years of trial and error with my own Golden, Charlie, these are the only homemade puzzles that actually work.

Table of Contents (Click to Jump)

Why Long Walks Failed My Golden (And Might Be Failing Yours)

I used to think a tired dog was a good dog. So I walked Charlie. A lot.

Two miles in the morning. Another mile at lunch. Fetch in the evening.

And somehow, he still found the energy to unzip my backpack and eat a library book. While I was in the shower.

I remember sitting on the kitchen floor at 10 PM, searching online for “why is my Golden Retriever so destructive” and finding thread after thread of owners saying the same thing: “I’m exhausted. My dog isn’t.”

Then I read a comment that changed everything: “You’re building an athlete, not a satisfied dog. Swap one walk for one brain game.”

That was the moment I stopped trying to out-exercise his genetics. Golden Retrievers were bred to work with their noses and mouths for hours. A long walk just warms them up. A puzzle actually tires them out. According to veterinary behaviorists at VCA Hospitals, mental enrichment can be more exhausting than physical exercise for many breeds.

A 2021 study published in Applied Animal Behaviour Science (referenced by ASPCA) found that dogs who engaged in 15 minutes of nose work showed lower cortisol levels than dogs who walked for 30 minutes. I wish I’d known that before my couch cushions died.

Below are the seven DIY Golden Retriever dog games that saved my furniture and my sanity. Every single one costs nothing and uses things you already have.

Quick Menu – 7 Games That Worked for My Golden

  1. The Towel Burrito (30 seconds to make)
  2. Muffin Tin Tennis Balls (uses your recycling)
  3. Cardboard Box Sniffari (free treasure hunt)
  4. Hide & Seek (the real version)
  5. The Actually-Working Frozen Kong (pro tips)
  6. Shell Game for Nose Work
  7. Laundry Helper Job

Game 1: The Towel Burrito (Too Simple? I Thought So Too)

Let me start with the game that made me feel silly. It’s literally a kitchen towel.

Golden Retriever nose unrolling a towel burrito to find hidden kibble
At first, I honestly thought this sounded ridiculous. There was no way Charlie would spend more than thirty seconds on a rolled-up towel.

But I was desperate. So I laid a towel flat, sprinkled a handful of his kibble down the middle, rolled it tight, and twisted the ends like a candy wrapper.

He sniffed it for a full minute. Then he started pawing. Then he used his teeth to gently unroll one corner.

Fifteen minutes later, he was still working on it.

Why this works for Golden Retrievers: They use their mouths to manipulate the world. Unrolling a towel mimics the natural “retrieving” motion but in slow motion. It’s calming for them.

My mistake: The second time I tried it, I tied the ends too tight. Charlie got frustrated and just bit through the towel. If your dog gets snappy, loosen the knots or skip them entirely for the first few tries.

Pro tip: Use an old towel you don’t care about. Some dogs get so into it that they chew holes. That’s fine—it’s a cheap toy.

Game 2: Muffin Tin Tennis Balls

You have a muffin tin. Every kitchen does.

Golden Retriever pawing at tennis balls on a muffin tin to get treats
Drop one small treat into six of the cups. Cover every cup with a tennis ball.

That’s it. That’s the whole setup.

Charlie stared at me the first time like I’d lost my mind. Then he nudged a ball with his nose. The ball rolled off. He ate the treat. His tail went absolutely insane.

He started using his paws to bat the balls away. Then his nose. Then his mouth.

This is a classic DIY dog puzzle for large dogs because the cups are big enough for a Golden’s snout. Small muffin tins are too cramped. Use a jumbo-sized one if you have it.

One real-life observation: By day three of playing this, I noticed Charlie stopped pacing by the front door when I grabbed my keys. He was calmer. Not sleepy—just… settled.

If you want to make it harder, use different sized balls. Golf balls are trickier to knock out. Just watch so he doesn’t swallow one.

Game 3: The Cardboard Box “Sniffari”

I haven’t bought a dog toy in eight months because I realized Golden Retrievers love recycling more than anything from the pet store.

Golden Retriever digging through a cardboard box filled with crumpled paper and hidden treats
Take an old Amazon box. Crumple up packing paper, junk mail, or newspaper. Toss in a handful of treats. Close the flaps but don’t tape them shut.

Put it on the floor. Step back.

Charlie shoves his whole head inside. He snorts. He digs. He throws paper everywhere. And when he finds every last crumb, he walks away and lies down.

That’s the magic: A cardboard box provides what dog trainers call “species-typical behavior.” Retrievers are den animals. Digging through a box mimics foraging in leaves and underbrush. It scratches an ancient itch. Research from ASPCA enrichment guidelines confirms that foraging-based activities reduce stress in kenneled dogs.

Warning (learned the hard way): Watch your dog the first few times. Charlie just shreds the cardboard into confetti. It’s messy but harmless. Some dogs eat the cardboard. If yours does, skip this game entirely.

For more ideas, check out our guide on dog enrichment ideas for bored retrievers.

Game 4: Hide & Seek (Not the Kid Version—Better)

We all played hide and seek as kids. Why did we stop?

Golden Retriever searching behind a curtain during a game of hide and seek
Tell your Golden to sit and stay. Go hide somewhere in the house. Behind the shower curtain. Under a pile of blankets. Inside a closet with the door cracked open.

Then call them.

Charlie loses his mind when we play this. His nose starts twitching the second he hears my voice. He moves room to room, ears flopping, tail straight out behind him like a rudder.

When he finds me, I act like he just discovered fire. Treats. Belly rubs. Loud praise.

This game does three things at once:

  • Reinforces the “stay” and “come” commands
  • Burns massive mental energy (sniffing lowers a dog’s heart rate)
  • Builds your bond without a leash or toy

I didn’t expect this tiny change to matter so much. But after a ten-minute game of hide and seek, Charlie is more tired than after a two-mile walk. The veterinary experts at PetMD note that scent-based games tap into a dog’s natural abilities and provide deep mental satisfaction.

Game 5: Frozen Kong (But Make It Actually Good)

Everyone recommends the frozen Kong. And everyone does it wrong.

Golden Retriever licking a frozen Kong stuffed with kibble and yogurt
If you just smear peanut butter on the inside, your dog will lick it out in ninety seconds. You haven’t bought yourself any quiet time. You’ve just given him a sticky snack.

Here is the method that actually works for large breeds:

  1. Plug the small hole at the narrow end with a tiny piece of cheese or a dollop of cream cheese.
  2. Mix your dog’s regular kibble with plain Greek yogurt, canned pumpkin (not pie filling), or mashed banana.
  3. Stuff the mixture tightly into the Kong.
  4. Freeze for at least three hours.

Give this to your Golden right as you leave for work. The door closing becomes a celebration instead of a trigger for separation anxiety.

A realization I had: I used to feel guilty leaving Charlie alone. Now I feel like I’m leaving him a job. He works on that Kong for twenty to thirty minutes, then naps. That’s a win.

Game 6: The Shell Game (Pro Level Nose Work)

This one looks ridiculous. Trust me anyway.

Golden Retriever tapping a plastic cup with his nose to find a hidden treat
Take three plastic cups. Put a treat under one. Shuffle them around. Let your dog tap a cup with his nose or paw to reveal the treat.

Charlie is now so good at this that he just sniffs the right cup immediately. It doesn’t matter how fast I shuffle. He always knows.

Why this works: Golden Retrievers have roughly 300 million scent receptors in their noses. Humans have about 6 million. You are not tricking them. You are letting them flex a superpower.

Start easy: one cup, treat underneath, no shuffling. Once your dog understands the game, add a second cup. Then a third. Then movement.

A frustration I had: At first, Charlie just knocked all the cups over and looked at me like “where’s the rest of the game?” I was moving too fast. I went back to one cup for three days. Then he got it.

For more free brain games for dogs at home, here’s our full list.

Game 7: The “Helping You Fold Laundry” Job

This sounds silly. I almost didn’t include it.

Golden Retriever holding a white sock in his mouth while sitting next to a laundry basket
But Golden Retrievers are Velcro dogs. They want to be with you. And they want to hold things.

Sit on the floor with a basket of clean laundry. Hand your dog a sock. Say “hold it.” Let him hold it for a few seconds. Then say “thank you” and take it back. Fold the sock. Hand him another one.

That’s the whole game.

What I noticed over time: Charlie started bringing me random objects from around the house—a mail envelope, a dish towel, a flip-flop. Not to destroy them. To help me.

Is he actually helping? No. But he thinks he is. And that’s the point. He has a job. He feels useful.

This one game reduced his “demand barking” (barking at me for attention) by about 80%. He now brings me a sock instead of yelling at me.

5 Mistakes I Made (So You Don’t Have To)

Mistakes are part of the process. But if I can save you a few chewed-up items, here’s what went wrong for me:

  • Leaving toys out all the time: Charlie got bored of them. Now I rotate games. The towel burrito disappears for a week, then comes back like new.
  • Using high-value treats every time: He got picky. Now I use his regular kibble for most games, and save the cheese for really hard puzzles.
  • Playing right before bed: Brain games wake them up. They’re thinking hard. I do games in the morning and afternoon. Never within two hours of bedtime.
  • Expecting perfection on the first try: The first time I did the shell game, Charlie walked away. I got frustrated. Then I remembered he doesn’t understand cups. I started super easy. He learned.
  • Not supervising cardboard: I left him alone with a box once. He ate a corner. No emergency vet, but scary. Now I watch him the whole time.

How to Make Games Harder as Your Dog Gets Smarter

Goldens are problem solvers. After a week, they’ll blow through the basic versions. Here’s how I level up:

  • Towel burrito: Tie two towels together in a chain. Or roll treats inside a towel, then stuff that towel inside another towel.
  • Muffin tin: Put different sized balls on top (golf balls, tennis balls, a wiffle ball). Or cover treats with a piece of cardboard under the balls.
  • Cardboard box: Tape the flaps partially shut. Or put a smaller box inside a bigger box. Russian nesting dolls for dogs.
  • Hide and seek: Hide in harder places. Behind the TV stand. Inside the shower with the curtain closed. Make him work harder with his nose.
  • Shell game: Add a fourth cup. Shuffle faster. Or hide the treat under a cup while he watches, then lead him out of the room, come back, and ask him to find it.

Sample Weekly Enrichment Schedule (Realistic)

You don’t need to do every game every day. Here’s what a real week looks like for Charlie and me:

  • Monday: Towel burrito at breakfast (10 min). Frozen Kong when I leave for work (30 min).
  • Tuesday: Muffin tin before dinner (15 min). Short hide and seek after dinner (10 min).
  • Wednesday: Cardboard box “sniffari” while I make coffee (20 min). No evening game – rest day.
  • Thursday: Shell game (10 min). Laundry helper job while I fold clothes (15 min).
  • Friday: Frozen Kong in the morning. Towel burrito in the evening.
  • Saturday: Long sniffari with two boxes taped together (30 min).
  • Sunday: Nothing structured – just cuddles and a normal walk.

This schedule takes me less than 15 minutes of active setup per day. Charlie is calmer than when I walked him 10 miles a week.

When DIY Games Aren’t Enough (Signs to Watch For)

I love these games. They worked for Charlie. But they’re not a cure for everything. If your Golden shows any of these signs, call your vet or a veterinary behaviorist:

  • Aggression toward people or other dogs (growling, snapping, biting)
  • Self-injurious behavior (licking paws raw, tail chasing that won’t stop)
  • Destruction that continues even after 30-40 minutes of enrichment daily
  • Pacing or whining for hours, not just when bored
  • Sudden behavior changes after being fine for years

The Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine notes that senior dogs with cognitive decline may need medication in addition to enrichment. Don’t feel bad if games aren’t enough. You’re still a great owner.

How These Games Compare to What I Used to Do

The Mistake I Kept Making Why It Failed The Cheap Fix That Works
Three-hour weekend hikes Built stamina without solving boredom 15 minutes of nose work (towel or box game)
Leaving five toys scattered on the floor Became “furniture” after 10 minutes Rotate toys weekly; hide them in a box
Buying expensive plastic puzzles Solved in 30 seconds, then destroyed The free cardboard box (Game 3)
Chasing him when he stole a shoe
Turned stealing into a fun game Hide & seek—he has to find me

Golden Retriever looking guilty next to torn cardboard and a shredded towel

FAQ – Real Questions from Real Golden Owners

Q: Are these DIY dog games safe to leave with my Golden while I’m at work?

A: Generally, no. Towels, cardboard, and tennis balls should be supervised. The only exception is a properly frozen Kong (Game 5). That one is safe for unsupervised time. Everything else? Play together or don’t leave them alone with it.

Q: My Golden just shreds the towel instead of unrolling it. What am I doing wrong?

A: Try a fleece blanket instead of a kitchen towel. Fleece doesn’t have loose threads and doesn’t tear easily. If he still shreds, go back a step: roll the towel loosely with no knots and just let him shake it apart. Some dogs need easier puzzles first.

Q: How many of these games should I do per day?

A: Overdoing it can actually hype your dog up too much. I do one “heavy” puzzle (muffin tin or shell game) at breakfast, and one “sniffy” game (cardboard box) at dinner. Twenty minutes total. Don’t play brain games right before bed or they stay wired.

Q: Do these work for older Golden Retrievers with sore joints?

A: Yes, especially the sniffing games. As Goldens age and can’t walk as far, the cardboard box game and towel burrito are low-impact and keep their mind sharp. Veterinarians often recommend nose work for senior dogs to slow cognitive decline. Cornell University’s College of Veterinary Medicine supports mental enrichment for aging dogs.

Q: I tried the cup shuffle and my dog just walked away.

A: You moved too fast. Start with one cup. Treat underneath. No shuffling. Let them knock it over. Do that ten times. Then add a second cup—treat under one, empty under the other. Don’t shuffle yet. Slow way down. You’re teaching a new skill, not testing an existing one.

Q: My Golden is on a diet. Can I still use food?

A: Use their regular dinner kibble. Instead of a bowl, portion out their morning or evening meal and use it for the towel game or muffin tin. They work for every piece. No extra calories. Just extra brain work.

Q: Why does my dog still seem hyper after playing these games?

A: You might be playing high-arousal games right before you want calm. Tug-of-war and rough wrestling raise adrenaline. Sniffing and searching lower heart rate. Choose the game based on the mood you want. Need a calm evening? Towel burrito. Need to burn explosive energy? Hide and seek.

Q: Where can I find more free dog enrichment ideas?

A: There are many online communities dedicated to canine enrichment. A quick search for “DIY dog puzzles” or “canine enrichment” will lead you to detailed guides and video tutorials. You can also check out these resources: Dog mental stimulation toys under $10, Brain games for dogs at home free – 12 more ideas, and Why your Golden Retriever still has energy after a long walk.

Q: How do I know if my Golden is actually bored versus just being a puppy?

A: Puppies are destructive because they’re babies. Adult Goldens (over 18 months) who destroy things, pace, whine, or follow you obsessively are usually bored. Try one game for three days in a row. If behavior improves, it was boredom. If not, consider a vet check.

This article draws directly from my experience with Charlie, my four-year-old Golden Retriever, after two years of trial and error. Updated June 2026.

If you found this helpful, you might also like:
Dog mental stimulation toys under $10 (tested by a destructive Golden)
Brain games for dogs at home free – 12 more ideas
Why your Golden Retriever still has energy after a long walk
DIY dog puzzles from plastic bottles

Comments



Follow GoldiePulse

🧡 Pinterest | 💙 Facebook | 🔴 Flipboard | 🦋 Bluesky

Popular posts from this blog

Gentle Brain Games for a 3-Month-Old Golden Retriever: Tired of the “Land Shark” Phase? Here’s What Actually Worked for Me

Easy, Free DIY Mental Stimulation Activities to Stop Biting, Chewing, and Hyperactivity in Your Golden Retriever Puppy. I remember sitting on my kitchen floor, staring at the shredded remnants of what used to be a perfectly good dish towel, while my 3-month-old Golden Retriever, Murphy, sat nearby with that classic “guilty” look—tail tucked, ears back, eyes darting away like he was trying to figure out how to plead the Fifth. Honestly, I wasn’t even mad. I was exhausted. I had already walked him twice. We played fetch in the hallway. I tried the “ignore the biting” thing. Nothing worked. He was still an ankle-biting, furniture-chewing, sleep-depriving little fur missile. And the worst part? I felt like I was failing him. If you’re reading this because your golden is currently trying to eat your baseboards or treating your hands like a chew toy, I get it. Completely. The problem isn’t that your puppy is bad or aggressive. It’s that their brain is growing faster than their bod...

The Staircase Exercise Routine for Golden Retrievers: What I Wish Someone Had Told Me Before I Let My Puppy Near a Single Step

Protect your Golden Retriever's joints from hip dysplasia and arthritis with this complete staircase safety guide I remember the exact moment I realized I might have messed up. My Golden Retriever, Gus, was about four months old. He'd been zooming up and down our basement stairs for weeks—his favorite game was to grab a toy, sprint to the top, drop it, and chase it back down. I thought it was great exercise. He was tired afterward. What could possibly be wrong? Then I mentioned it to my vet during a routine checkup. The look on her face told me everything I needed to know. "How often is he doing that?" I told her. A few times a day. Maybe more. She didn't yell at me. She didn't have to. The concern in her voice was enough. She explained that Goldens are already genetically predisposed to hip and elbow dysplasia. Their joints are developing rapidly during that first year, and repetitive stair climbing—especially the running part—puts a type of str...

The Real Truth About Hallway Fetch for Large Dogs: 7 Safer Alternatives That Actually Work

Safe Indoor Games for Golden Retrievers: Alternatives to Hallway Fetch I remember standing in my hallway at 10 PM, launching a rubber ball for the thirtieth time, watching my 75-pound Golden Retriever tear down the carpet at full speed, skid into the wall, pivot, and barrel back toward me with that manic gleam in his eyes. And I thought, "How is this dog still not tired?" Two hours of hallway fetch. Two hours of sprinting, sliding, stopping, and starting. And he was still pacing around the apartment like he'd just woken up from a nap. That's when I started to realize something wasn't adding up. Table of Contents The Night I Realized Hallway Fetch Wasn't Working for My Golden Wait—Is Fetch Actually Bad for Golden Retrievers? 7 Hallway Fetch Alternatives That Actually Work for Goldens A Quick Comparison: What Actually Works for Goldens What Other Golden Retriever Owners Are Saying Troubleshooting: What If Your Golden Won't Do Anything But Fet...

The Shell Game Cups Trick for Golden Retrievers: My Dog Got Bamboozled and How to Do It Right

A Step-by-Step Guide to the Shell Game Cups Trick for Golden Retrievers – Building Focus, Impulse Control, and Trust Through Play Table of Contents Why Most Golden Retrievers Struggle With the Cup Game (And It's Not Their Fault) What the Shell Game Actually Does for Your Golden's Brain Essential Supplies for the Shell Game: What You Really Need to Start How to Actually Play the Shell Game (Without Making Your Dog Hate You) The "Bamboozled" Moment (And Why Experts Say to Avoid It) Common Mistakes Even Experienced Owners Make Why Your Golden Might Struggle (And Why That's Completely Normal) Beyond the Cups: Other Brain Games Goldens Love The Bottom Line Why Most Golden Retrievers Struggle With the Cup Game (And It's Not Their Fault) Let me back up. Murphy is smart. Borderline too smart for his own good. He can open cabinet doors, has learned the names of about fifteen different toys, and once figured out how to unlatch the g...

How to Stop a Golden Retriever from Jumping on Guests: 5 Games That Actually Work

Stop Golden Retriever jumping on guests with these 5 simple brain games that teach calm greetings and impulse control. Tired of your Golden Retriever tackling guests at the door? These 5 brain games and impulse control exercises actually stop jumping—no yelling, no kneeing, just real results. Endorsed by positive reinforcement trainers. The most effective way to stop a Golden Retriever from jumping on guests is to teach an incompatible behavior (like “go to your mat” or “sit”) and practice it with realistic doorbell drills before guests arrive. Combine this with daily impulse control games—like the Treat Scatter, Wait at the Door, and the Name Game—to channel that overwhelming excitement into something productive. Consistency across everyone who enters your home is the real secret. This approach aligns with recommendations from the ASPCA and the American Kennel Club for managing overexcited greetings. Table of Contents The Day I Realized I Was the Problem Why Golden Retrie...

How to Build a DIY PVC Pipe Treat Dispenser That Actually Survives a Golden Retriever

A Step-by-Step Guide to Building an Unbreakable DIY Puzzle Feeder That Stops Destructive Chewing Stop buying expensive toys your Golden destroys in minutes. This $15 PVC pipe puzzle feeder is unbreakable, mentally stimulating, and took me 20 minutes to build. What is a PVC pipe treat dispenser, and does it work for heavy chewers? It's a simple DIY food puzzle—a section of PVC pipe with holes, capped at both ends, filled with kibble. Your dog rolls it around to release the food. It's cheap, durable, and provides 20-45 minutes of mental stimulation. For Golden Retrievers and other power chewers who destroy store-bought toys, this is one of the few DIY solutions that actually holds up. The Day I Realized I Was Building an Athlete, Not Solving a Problem What I Got Wrong (For Way Too Long) Why Most "Indestructible" Toys Are a Joke The PVC Pipe Idea That Sounded Ridiculous How I Built It (With Detailed Steps) The First Time Murphy Used It PVC S...

How to Teach Your Dog "Leave It" in 7 Days – A Step-by-Step Guide for Stubborn Goldens

How to Stop Your Golden Retriever From Eating Everything – A 7-Day Impulse Control Training Plan That Actually Works Last Updated: June 2026 Table of Contents How to Teach "Leave It" in 3 Minutes Why Most People Fail at Teaching "Leave It" (And How You Won't) What You'll Need (No Fancy Equipment) Step 1: How to Teach "Leave It" with a Closed Fist (The Foundation) Step 2: Adding the Verbal Cue to the "Leave It" Command Step 3: Open Hand Challenge – Teaching "Leave It" with Temptation Step 4: Floor Work – Teaching "Leave It" on the Ground Step 5: Drop and Walk – Adding Distance to the "Leave It" Command Step 6: Toss Game – Teaching "Leave It" with Moving Objects Step 7: Distraction Practice – Real-World "Leave It" Training 5 Advanced Games to Build a Bulletproof "Leave It" Common Mistakes and How to Fix Them How to Transition to Real-World Situations Frequently...

How to Do Advanced Scent Work Using Essential Oils for Golden Retrievers

Advanced Scent Work Using Essential Oils for Golden Retrievers – Safe Training, Best Kits, Toxic Oils to Avoid Table of Contents What Is Advanced Scent Work With Essential Oils? The Safety Conversation Nobody Wants to Have What Scents to Use for Dog Scent Training The Best Dog Scent Work Kit: What You Actually Need How to Start Scent Work Training (Without Making My Mistakes) The Mistake I Made With Scent Work Boxes Advanced Techniques: Multiple Hides and Converging Odor Common Mistakes (That I Made So You Don't Have To) What to Do If Your Dog Is Exposed to Essential Oils Realistic Expectations: What Progress Looks Like When to Add More Scents Essential Oils and Dog Safety: A Practical Summary Frequently Asked Questions Final Thought I remember the exact moment I realized I had been doing scent work wrong for three weeks. My Golden Retriever, Charlie, was staring at me like I had lost my mind. I had spen...

What to Do When It’s Raining and Your Dog Needs to Pee (Without Losing Your Mind)

Proven strategies for rainy day potty training, including mental stimulation games, covered potty areas, and high-value reward techniques for stubborn dogs. Does your dog refuse to go outside when it rains? You're not alone. Here's what actually works when your dog won't pee in the rain—from a trainer who's been there. I remember standing in my backyard at 11 PM with an umbrella in one hand, a leash in the other, and a ninety-pound Golden Retriever planted firmly like a statue at the back door. He'd stuck his nose out, felt one raindrop, and decided he'd rather hold it for the next three days than step onto wet grass. The forecast said rain for the next week. I was exhausted, frustrated, and genuinely worried about his health. If you're reading this because your dog won't go out in the rain to poop, or you're dealing with accidents every time the weather turns, I get it. This isn't just annoying—it's stressful. You're not a bad dog...

The Ultimate Cardboard Box Destruction Box Recipe for Dogs: A Complete Guide That Actually Works

The Ultimate DIY Destruction Box for Dogs – Stop Destructive Chewing Today I remember the exact moment I realized my Golden Retriever, Murphy, had a problem. I'd just gotten home from a quick trip to the grocery store—maybe twenty-five minutes, tops. Walked through the door, and there it was. My favorite throw pillow, the one from the couch I actually liked, was in pieces across the living room floor. Fluff everywhere. The pillowcase had been methodically shredded, and Murphy was sitting right in the middle of the chaos, tail wagging like he'd just completed a major project. I stood there staring at the destruction thinking, How is this dog still not tired? We'd done a forty-five minute walk that morning. He had toys. He had chews. And somehow, my pillow was still the most interesting thing in the house. That was the day I stopped blaming the dog and started looking at what I was not giving him. A cardboard box destruction box for dogs is exactly what it sounds ...