Skip to main content
Loading featured story...

Easy Brain Games for 2 Month Old Puppy That Actually Work

2 month old golden retriever puppy playing an easy brain game with treats hidden in a towel indoors
Easy Brain Games for 2 Month Old Puppy That Actually Work

Stop the puppy biting and craziness with simple DIY games. Perfect for a golden retriever puppy’s developing brain

You brought home a tiny, fluffy ball of joy. Two days later, you're sleep‑deprived, your ankles look like a chew toy, and you're wondering if you accidentally adopted a tiny shark. I've been there. After countless frustrating afternoons with my golden retriever puppy Luna, I discovered the secret that changed everything: easy brain games for a 2 month old puppy don't just tire them out – they actually make them happy, calm, and way less bitey. Let me show you exactly what worked (and what failed) so you can skip the mistakes I made.

Why Your Puppy Needs Brain Games

A 2 month old puppy has a brain ready to soak up information, but an attention span that lasts about five seconds. Traditional exercise like walks is great, but mental stimulation tires them out faster. According to the RSPCA, enrichment activities that engage a dog's mind and senses have wide‑ranging benefits including promoting relaxation, reducing stress and anxiety, and preventing undesirable behaviours such as excessive barking[reference:0]. A study also found that scent work improves dogs' ability to avoid acting impulsively, which is often the cause of destructive behaviour in puppies[reference:1][reference:2]. The good news? You don't need to buy expensive toys. The best easy brain games for a 2 month old puppy are probably in your recycling bin right now.

  • Scatter scavenger hunts
  • Towel burrito sniffing games
  • Muffin tin puzzles
  • Simple shell games
  • 2–5 minute training sessions

Table of Contents

Why Your Puppy Needs Brain Games

You brought home a tiny, fluffy, adorable eight-week-old puppy. And for the first few days, it was heaven. Then came the nipping. The zoomies. The stubborn refusal to just calm down. My golden retriever pup, Luna, was exactly like that. I remember staring at the destroyed couch cushion thinking, “How is this dog still not tired?” I had walked her three times. It wasn't enough.

This is the secret no one tells you: a tired body doesn't mean a satisfied mind. For a 2 month old puppy, easy brain games are often more effective than physical exercise. The American Kennel Club notes that enrichment exercises help encourage puppies to think and experience, offering a much wider range of experiences than simply eating and sleeping[reference:3]. Research also suggests that dogs prefer food rewards they earn through problem‑solving over freely accessible food[reference:4]. Let me share the games that actually helped me survive (and enjoy) the early puppy stages.

If your puppy still struggles to settle indoors, these Golden Retriever puppy brain games helped me far more than extra walks..

The “Oh, This Is Ridiculously Simple” Starter Game

Towel Burrito. I thought this sounded ridiculous at first. But it worked like magic.

Take an old kitchen towel, sprinkle a few pieces of your puppy's kibble along the center, then roll it up tightly. Tuck the ends under. Hand it to your puppy. Your job now is just to watch. They'll snuffle, paw, and unroll the towel to find their food.

What you'll notice: genuine focus. My puppy used to attack my ankles during breakfast prep. Now, she was obsessed with this towel. This is also a great low-pressure enrichment activity for puppies who get overstimulated easily. VCA Animal Hospitals recommends that puppies and kittens often explore the world with their mouths, and providing appropriate outlets like foraging toys can decrease unwanted behaviours[reference:5].

What to do when they lose interest

The first time I did this, Luna sniffed it once and walked away. I almost gave up. Then I added a few pieces of hot dog to the middle (just tiny bits, since a 2 month old has a sensitive tummy). That smell was enough to hook her. After two rounds, she was diving nose-first into the towel. The trick is making it worth their while with something extra smelly.

The $0 Muffin Tin Puzzle (It's a Kitchen MVP)

This is probably my favorite on the list because it uses things you already have.

You need:

  • A standard muffin tin (6 or 12 holes)
  • Tennis balls or small toys (to cover the holes)
  • Your puppy's regular kibble

Put a single piece of kibble in 3 or 4 of the muffin holes. Cover each hole with a tennis ball. Slide the tin toward your pup.

That focused, determined expression on their face? That's their brain firing on all cylinders. The AKC has recommended food puzzles and treat-scavenger hunts as excellent ways to keep a puppy's brain engaged. My puppy accidentally figured out she could flip the pan over to get all the treats at once. Not exactly what I planned, but her problem-solving skills were clearly working.

golden retriever puppy solving a muffin tin puzzle with tennis balls and kibble
GameWhat You NeedDifficultyWhy Puppies Love It
Towel Treat BurritoOld towel, kibbleVery EasyUnraveling is instinctive and fun
Muffin Tin PuzzleMuffin tin, tennis ballsEasySniffing out treats is a natural reward
Shell Game (Which Hand?)Solo cups, kibbleMediumUses scent detection & problem-solving
Scatter Scavenger HuntKibble or treatsEasyActivates their deep "seeking system"

Scent Work: The “Silent Mode” Game

One mistake I kept making early on was assuming my puppy needed to run. But running just built endurance. What actually calmed her down was searching.

Sniffing games are a form of canine enrichment that taps directly into a puppy's strongest sense. According to a 2024 study by Aberystwyth University, dogs trained in scent work performed better in impulse control tasks than those who were not, suggesting that this training can have a positive effect on their behaviour[reference:6][reference:7]. For a 2 month old puppy, you don't need fancy equipment. Just hide a few pieces of kibble around a small room and let them work.

Scatter Scavenger is exactly that. Take your puppy's breakfast kibble and instead of putting it in a bowl, toss it across the living room floor. Let them snuffle around to find every piece. It looks chaotic, but it's deeply satisfying for them.

This activates what trainers call the "seeking system" in your dog's brain. It's the equivalent of you doing a crossword puzzle or reading a book. A 2 month old puppy has a short attention span, so start easy. Toss the kibble right by their feet. Once they get the hang of it, hide pieces under furniture edges or around corners.

By day three, I noticed Luna stopped pacing at night. That tiny change — adding 5 minutes of scent work before bed — mattered more than I ever expected.

A quick word of caution

Before you go crazy hiding kibble everywhere: make sure your puppy isn't resource guarding. If you have multiple dogs or one who gets snappy about food, separate them before playing this.

young golden retriever puppy sniffing kibble scattered around a living room floor

Shell Game (Which Hand?)

This game is deceptively simple.

Get three solo cups or bowls. Put a treat under one. Move them around slowly while your puppy watches. Then ask them to choose.

At first, your puppy will probably be confused. That's okay. The first time I tried this, Luna pawed at the wrong cup, got frustrated, and started barking at me. I realized I needed to make it much easier. I dropped the third cup completely and just used one cup. Treat under. Paw. Reward. After she mastered that, I added a second cup back in.

Success builds confidence. If your puppy gets frustrated, simplify. Don't drill them on this for ten minutes. Puppies this age learn best in very short chunks.

Honestly, I thought this sounded way too advanced for a 2 month old. But once I slowed down, she surprised me.

Signs Your Puppy Is Mentally Overtired

This part saved me from a lot of frustration. At first, I thought “more brain games = better puppy.” Nope. A 2 month old puppy's brain can actually get too tired, and when that happens, they act worse – not better.

Here's what mental burnout looks like in a tiny pup:

  • Suddenly extra bitey – More than the usual teething nipping. This is the puppy equivalent of a toddler skipping a nap.
  • Staring into space or ignoring treats – If your pup usually loves the towel game but now walks away, their brain is done.
  • Frantic zoomies after a calm game – Not the playful kind. It's a “I'm so tired I can't settle” meltdown.
  • Whining or getting stuck on a simple puzzle – They might paw at the muffin tin over and over without solving it.

One evening, Luna had done three rounds of scent work, then the shell game. She started biting the couch. I thought she needed more stimulation. What she actually needed was a nap. I put her in her crate with a chew toy, and she was asleep in under two minutes.

Rule of thumb: For a 2 month old puppy, about 5 minutes of brain games per session is plenty[reference:8]. Then enforce a quiet nap. You'll both be happier.

Best Brain Games by Puppy Energy Level

Not every game fits every mood. I learned this the hard way. Here's how I match the game to my puppy's current energy level.

Puppy Energy LevelWhat It Looks LikeBest Brain GameWhy It Works
Low (Lazy Loaf)Lying down, barely blinking, maybe chewing a toy gently.Towel Burrito (very easy roll)Gentle snuffling wakes up their brain without pressure.
Medium (Alert & Curious)Following you from room to room, ears up, not yet crazy.Muffin Tin Puzzle or Scatter ScavengerJust enough challenge to focus that alert energy.
Crazy Shark ModeBiting ankles, racing in circles, won't stop barking at a leaf.Shell Game (with high-value treats like chicken) + then immediate napThe intense focus of the shell game can interrupt the frenzy, but after 2 minutes, stop and crate nap.

The biggest mistake I made was trying the shell game when Luna was in Crazy Shark Mode. She couldn't focus, got more frustrated, and the biting got worse. Now I only use simple scent games (scatter kibble) to gently pull her brain down from that ledge – then straight to nap.

Beyond Just Games: Training as Brain Work

A 2 month old puppy is ready to learn basic commands. You don't need to be a professional trainer. The key is keeping sessions absurdly short. Like, two to three minutes max.

One thing that surprised me was how fast a puppy's brain gets tired. After maybe five minutes of asking for "sit" and "down," Luna would start spacing out. That was my cue to stop. Puppies learn through repetition, but they also need quiet time to process what just happened.

Can you train a puppy without treats?

Yes. Some dogs are toy-motivated. For others, the reward is simply the game itself. If you're worried about overdoing treats with a tiny puppy belly, use their regular meal kibble for training. That's what I did. By the end of the week, she was working for every single piece of her breakfast.

Learn how to stop a golden retriever from destroying everything.

Common Brain Game Mistakes Puppy Owners Make

I made all of these. Please learn from my bad examples.

  1. Sessions that go on way too long. I thought more time = more tired puppy. Wrong. Past the 5-7 minute mark, my puppy just got frustrated and bitey.
  2. Making the game too hard, too fast. The shell game with three cups was too much at first. I had to back way up to just one cup.
  3. Overstimulation before nap time. A wild puppy doesn't need more excitement. They need fewer choices, quieter games, and then a calm nap.
  4. Skipping scent work because it "looks too simple." The towel game looked way too simple to work. But it turned out to be one of the most effective calming tools I had.
  5. Playing when the puppy is already overtired. If your pup is yawning, zoning out, or acting extra nippy, don't start a new game. Just go straight to a nap instead.
  6. Not rotating games enough. I left the muffin tin out for days. By day three, Luna was completely bored with it. Now I rotate games daily to keep things fresh.

FAQ: Real Questions About 2 Month Old Puppy Brain Games

Are brain games safe for an 8-week-old puppy?
Yes, absolutely. According to VeterinaryPartner, food puzzle toys can be used at 6-8 weeks of age[reference:9]. Stick with low-impact puppy enrichment activities like towel burritos and scatter feeding. Avoid anything that involves jumping or sharp objects. Always supervise. Puppies this age put everything in their mouths.

How long should a brain game session last for a 2 month old puppy?
About 5 minutes max. A young puppy's attention span is extremely short. One source notes that 2-3 minutes is enough for young dogs[reference:10]. You want them excited for the next round, not bored or frustrated.

What if my puppy doesn't seem interested in puzzles?
Start easier. Some puppies need the game dumbed down at first. If the muffin tin is too hard, just put treats directly on top of the tennis balls. Let them figure out that moving the ball = reward.

Can I use these games to stop my puppy from biting?
Indirectly, yes. A mentally tired puppy is less likely to be an overstimulated landshark. Pair brain games with structured nap time. You'll see the difference.

My puppy just eats the towel. What do I do?
Don't leave them alone with fabric. If your puppy is a shredder, swap the towel for cardboard or a snuffle mat. Some puppies just aren't towel-safe.

Do I have to buy expensive dog puzzles?
Not at all. Everything listed here uses household items. A cardboard box with crumpled paper inside is just as effective as a $30 puzzle toy.

What's the single best game to calm a hyper puppy?
The scatter scavenger hunt. Hands down. Sniffing lowers a dog's heart rate and shifts them into a calmer state almost instantly. A 2025 study found that trainers believe scent enrichment activities can be effective in reducing overexcitement[reference:11].

Can brain games replace walks for a 2 month old puppy?
Not entirely. Puppies still need short, gentle walks for socialization and potty training. But on a rainy day or when your pup is overstimulated, puppy mental stimulation can substitute for a walk to tire them out mentally. The Blue Cross notes that enrichment helps young puppies who cannot yet exercise freely off-lead[reference:12].

Can puppies do scent work?
Absolutely. In fact, puppies are natural scent machines. Their noses are incredibly powerful even at 2 months old. You don't need formal training. Just hide treats around a small room and let them sniff. It's one of the most instinctive easy brain games for a 2 month old puppy. The AKC has long supported early scent introduction exercises starting from as early as day 2-3 of life[reference:13].

Are puzzle toys safe for puppies?
Yes, with supervision. According to VCA Animal Hospitals, select a size-appropriate toy that cannot be accidentally swallowed, and ensure the toy is durable and will not easily fracture into pieces[reference:14]. Avoid toys with small removable parts that could be swallowed. Hard plastic puzzles are fine if your puppy isn't a power chewer yet. I personally prefer homemade puzzles (like the muffin tin) because I can control the difficulty and clean them easily.

What if my puppy gets frustrated and gives up?
That's a sign the game is too hard. Go back two steps. For the shell game, just let them see you put a treat under a cup and let them knock it over immediately. Build success. Frustration shuts down learning. Your job is to keep it fun.

Check out more indoor activities for golden retrievers.

A Real-Life Moment That Changed Everything

I remember one rainy Tuesday when Luna was about nine weeks old. She had been awake for an hour, which meant she should have been ready for a nap. Instead, she was ricocheting off the furniture. I was exhausted. I grabbed an empty egg carton, dropped a few pieces of kibble in each compartment, and sealed it shut. Then I hid it under a blanket.

She spent fifteen minutes sniffing, pawing, and trying to open that carton. When she finally got it open, she ate her kibble, curled up on the blanket, and fell asleep within two minutes. I sat there on the floor, genuinely amazed. Easy brain games for a 2 month old puppy weren't just a nice idea. They were the key to my sanity.

The One Rule I Wish I'd Followed Sooner

Rotation is everything. Puppies get bored of the same game. I used to leave the muffin tin out all day. By day three, Luna was ignoring it completely. Once I started rotating games – Towel Burrito in the morning, Scatter Scavenger at lunch, Shell Game in the afternoon – her engagement skyrocketed.

Keep a small rotation of 3-4 games and swap them out each day. You don't need to reinvent the wheel. Your puppy's brain is like a muscle. A little bit of daily work goes a very long way.

What's your puppy's favorite brain game? Drop a comment below. I'm always looking for new ideas to add to my rotation.

Comments



Follow GoldiePulse

🧡 Pinterest | 💙 Facebook | 🔴 Flipboard | 🦋 Bluesky

Popular posts from this blog

Gentle Brain Games for a 3-Month-Old Golden Retriever: Tired of the “Land Shark” Phase? Here’s What Actually Worked for Me

Easy, Free DIY Mental Stimulation Activities to Stop Biting, Chewing, and Hyperactivity in Your Golden Retriever Puppy. I remember sitting on my kitchen floor, staring at the shredded remnants of what used to be a perfectly good dish towel, while my 3-month-old Golden Retriever, Murphy, sat nearby with that classic “guilty” look—tail tucked, ears back, eyes darting away like he was trying to figure out how to plead the Fifth. Honestly, I wasn’t even mad. I was exhausted. I had already walked him twice. We played fetch in the hallway. I tried the “ignore the biting” thing. Nothing worked. He was still an ankle-biting, furniture-chewing, sleep-depriving little fur missile. And the worst part? I felt like I was failing him. If you’re reading this because your golden is currently trying to eat your baseboards or treating your hands like a chew toy, I get it. Completely. The problem isn’t that your puppy is bad or aggressive. It’s that their brain is growing faster than their bod...

The Staircase Exercise Routine for Golden Retrievers: What I Wish Someone Had Told Me Before I Let My Puppy Near a Single Step

Protect your Golden Retriever's joints from hip dysplasia and arthritis with this complete staircase safety guide I remember the exact moment I realized I might have messed up. My Golden Retriever, Gus, was about four months old. He'd been zooming up and down our basement stairs for weeks—his favorite game was to grab a toy, sprint to the top, drop it, and chase it back down. I thought it was great exercise. He was tired afterward. What could possibly be wrong? Then I mentioned it to my vet during a routine checkup. The look on her face told me everything I needed to know. "How often is he doing that?" I told her. A few times a day. Maybe more. She didn't yell at me. She didn't have to. The concern in her voice was enough. She explained that Goldens are already genetically predisposed to hip and elbow dysplasia. Their joints are developing rapidly during that first year, and repetitive stair climbing—especially the running part—puts a type of str...

The Real Truth About Hallway Fetch for Large Dogs: 7 Safer Alternatives That Actually Work

Safe Indoor Games for Golden Retrievers: Alternatives to Hallway Fetch I remember standing in my hallway at 10 PM, launching a rubber ball for the thirtieth time, watching my 75-pound Golden Retriever tear down the carpet at full speed, skid into the wall, pivot, and barrel back toward me with that manic gleam in his eyes. And I thought, "How is this dog still not tired?" Two hours of hallway fetch. Two hours of sprinting, sliding, stopping, and starting. And he was still pacing around the apartment like he'd just woken up from a nap. That's when I started to realize something wasn't adding up. Table of Contents The Night I Realized Hallway Fetch Wasn't Working for My Golden Wait—Is Fetch Actually Bad for Golden Retrievers? 7 Hallway Fetch Alternatives That Actually Work for Goldens A Quick Comparison: What Actually Works for Goldens What Other Golden Retriever Owners Are Saying Troubleshooting: What If Your Golden Won't Do Anything But Fet...

The Shell Game Cups Trick for Golden Retrievers: My Dog Got Bamboozled and How to Do It Right

A Step-by-Step Guide to the Shell Game Cups Trick for Golden Retrievers – Building Focus, Impulse Control, and Trust Through Play Table of Contents Why Most Golden Retrievers Struggle With the Cup Game (And It's Not Their Fault) What the Shell Game Actually Does for Your Golden's Brain Essential Supplies for the Shell Game: What You Really Need to Start How to Actually Play the Shell Game (Without Making Your Dog Hate You) The "Bamboozled" Moment (And Why Experts Say to Avoid It) Common Mistakes Even Experienced Owners Make Why Your Golden Might Struggle (And Why That's Completely Normal) Beyond the Cups: Other Brain Games Goldens Love The Bottom Line Why Most Golden Retrievers Struggle With the Cup Game (And It's Not Their Fault) Let me back up. Murphy is smart. Borderline too smart for his own good. He can open cabinet doors, has learned the names of about fifteen different toys, and once figured out how to unlatch the g...

How to Stop a Golden Retriever from Jumping on Guests: 5 Games That Actually Work

Stop Golden Retriever jumping on guests with these 5 simple brain games that teach calm greetings and impulse control. Tired of your Golden Retriever tackling guests at the door? These 5 brain games and impulse control exercises actually stop jumping—no yelling, no kneeing, just real results. Endorsed by positive reinforcement trainers. The most effective way to stop a Golden Retriever from jumping on guests is to teach an incompatible behavior (like “go to your mat” or “sit”) and practice it with realistic doorbell drills before guests arrive. Combine this with daily impulse control games—like the Treat Scatter, Wait at the Door, and the Name Game—to channel that overwhelming excitement into something productive. Consistency across everyone who enters your home is the real secret. This approach aligns with recommendations from the ASPCA and the American Kennel Club for managing overexcited greetings. Table of Contents The Day I Realized I Was the Problem Why Golden Retrie...

How to Build a DIY PVC Pipe Treat Dispenser That Actually Survives a Golden Retriever

A Step-by-Step Guide to Building an Unbreakable DIY Puzzle Feeder That Stops Destructive Chewing Stop buying expensive toys your Golden destroys in minutes. This $15 PVC pipe puzzle feeder is unbreakable, mentally stimulating, and took me 20 minutes to build. What is a PVC pipe treat dispenser, and does it work for heavy chewers? It's a simple DIY food puzzle—a section of PVC pipe with holes, capped at both ends, filled with kibble. Your dog rolls it around to release the food. It's cheap, durable, and provides 20-45 minutes of mental stimulation. For Golden Retrievers and other power chewers who destroy store-bought toys, this is one of the few DIY solutions that actually holds up. The Day I Realized I Was Building an Athlete, Not Solving a Problem What I Got Wrong (For Way Too Long) Why Most "Indestructible" Toys Are a Joke The PVC Pipe Idea That Sounded Ridiculous How I Built It (With Detailed Steps) The First Time Murphy Used It PVC S...

How to Teach Your Dog "Leave It" in 7 Days – A Step-by-Step Guide for Stubborn Goldens

How to Stop Your Golden Retriever From Eating Everything – A 7-Day Impulse Control Training Plan That Actually Works Last Updated: June 2026 Table of Contents How to Teach "Leave It" in 3 Minutes Why Most People Fail at Teaching "Leave It" (And How You Won't) What You'll Need (No Fancy Equipment) Step 1: How to Teach "Leave It" with a Closed Fist (The Foundation) Step 2: Adding the Verbal Cue to the "Leave It" Command Step 3: Open Hand Challenge – Teaching "Leave It" with Temptation Step 4: Floor Work – Teaching "Leave It" on the Ground Step 5: Drop and Walk – Adding Distance to the "Leave It" Command Step 6: Toss Game – Teaching "Leave It" with Moving Objects Step 7: Distraction Practice – Real-World "Leave It" Training 5 Advanced Games to Build a Bulletproof "Leave It" Common Mistakes and How to Fix Them How to Transition to Real-World Situations Frequently...

How to Do Advanced Scent Work Using Essential Oils for Golden Retrievers

Advanced Scent Work Using Essential Oils for Golden Retrievers – Safe Training, Best Kits, Toxic Oils to Avoid Table of Contents What Is Advanced Scent Work With Essential Oils? The Safety Conversation Nobody Wants to Have What Scents to Use for Dog Scent Training The Best Dog Scent Work Kit: What You Actually Need How to Start Scent Work Training (Without Making My Mistakes) The Mistake I Made With Scent Work Boxes Advanced Techniques: Multiple Hides and Converging Odor Common Mistakes (That I Made So You Don't Have To) What to Do If Your Dog Is Exposed to Essential Oils Realistic Expectations: What Progress Looks Like When to Add More Scents Essential Oils and Dog Safety: A Practical Summary Frequently Asked Questions Final Thought I remember the exact moment I realized I had been doing scent work wrong for three weeks. My Golden Retriever, Charlie, was staring at me like I had lost my mind. I had spen...

What to Do When It’s Raining and Your Dog Needs to Pee (Without Losing Your Mind)

Proven strategies for rainy day potty training, including mental stimulation games, covered potty areas, and high-value reward techniques for stubborn dogs. Does your dog refuse to go outside when it rains? You're not alone. Here's what actually works when your dog won't pee in the rain—from a trainer who's been there. I remember standing in my backyard at 11 PM with an umbrella in one hand, a leash in the other, and a ninety-pound Golden Retriever planted firmly like a statue at the back door. He'd stuck his nose out, felt one raindrop, and decided he'd rather hold it for the next three days than step onto wet grass. The forecast said rain for the next week. I was exhausted, frustrated, and genuinely worried about his health. If you're reading this because your dog won't go out in the rain to poop, or you're dealing with accidents every time the weather turns, I get it. This isn't just annoying—it's stressful. You're not a bad dog...

The Ultimate Cardboard Box Destruction Box Recipe for Dogs: A Complete Guide That Actually Works

The Ultimate DIY Destruction Box for Dogs – Stop Destructive Chewing Today I remember the exact moment I realized my Golden Retriever, Murphy, had a problem. I'd just gotten home from a quick trip to the grocery store—maybe twenty-five minutes, tops. Walked through the door, and there it was. My favorite throw pillow, the one from the couch I actually liked, was in pieces across the living room floor. Fluff everywhere. The pillowcase had been methodically shredded, and Murphy was sitting right in the middle of the chaos, tail wagging like he'd just completed a major project. I stood there staring at the destruction thinking, How is this dog still not tired? We'd done a forty-five minute walk that morning. He had toys. He had chews. And somehow, my pillow was still the most interesting thing in the house. That was the day I stopped blaming the dog and started looking at what I was not giving him. A cardboard box destruction box for dogs is exactly what it sounds ...