I’d been working on his “stay” command for weeks, trying to channel his boundless energy into something more controlled, especially indoors. The rain had been relentless for days, trapping us inside. Our living room had become an obstacle course of pillows and overturned chairs, the air stale with the scent of wet dog and dust. I’d read an article—one of those online things—about distance obedience training games and how they could tire a dog out mentally. It was supposed to be fun. A game.
“Gus,” I said softly, nudging his side with my toe. He cracked open one eye, a sliver of warm, chestnut brown. “Get ready, buddy.”
He was a creature of habit. He knew the routine. He hopped up, his tail a slow, questioning metronome, and sat at my feet. I held a piece of dried chicken breast, his favorite, and said, “Stay.” I walked backward, slowly, counting the steps. Three. Five. Eight. His eyes were locked on me, unblinking. He was a statue, his muscles quivering with the effort of staying put, his focus so intense it was almost a physical force.
That’s when the sound started.
It was a low hum at first, barely audible over the drone of a neighbor’s lawnmower in the distance. I dismissed it. An old refrigerator. A passing car with a bad speaker. I took another step back, now twelve feet away from him. His focus was the most beautiful thing I’d ever seen.
The hum began to oscillate, a strange, rhythmic pulse that I could feel more than hear. It vibrated in my chest, a sickening dissonance against the warmth of the sun. I saw Gus’s ears twitch. His head cocked slightly to the right, that classic, quizzical Golden Retriever move that always made me laugh. But his eyes didn’t leave mine. The chicken was still in my hand. “Stay,” I said, my voice catching in my throat.
The hum grew louder, a discordant wail that seemed to come from everywhere and nowhere at once. It wasn’t in my ears; it was in my bones. It was the sound of the earth groaning. I started to feel an unsettling tightness in my chest, a pressure that made breathing feel like a conscious effort. My heart began to beat a frantic rhythm against my ribs.
I glanced around, confused. The sky was still a perfect blue. The birds were still singing. Nothing was out of the ordinary.
I was about to call the whole thing off—grab Gus and go back inside—when I saw his ears flatten against his skull.
It wasn’t a casual flattening, like when he’s caught stealing a sock. It was a sudden, sharp pinning of his ears back, his brow furrowing into a deep, uncharacteristic look of pure distress. He let out a low, quiet whimper, the kind he only makes when he’s hurt. His tail, which had been held in a high, happy flag, tucked itself firmly between his legs.
“Gus?” I said, breaking my own command. I took a step toward him.
He broke his stay.
He didn’t run toward me for the treat. He didn’t run for the door. He just stood up, his legs trembling. His head was shaking, a tiny, involuntary tremor that was entirely alien to his usual calm demeanor. He looked at me, his chocolate eyes wide with a fear I had never seen in them before.
He was looking at me for help.
The vibrating hum was now a frantic, piercing shriek in my head, and the world started to tilt. The air felt thick, like trying to breathe underwater. A deep, guttural sound came from Gus’s chest, a cross between a growl and a cry of pain.
“Gus, come here, boy,” I pleaded, dropping the treat. My voice was thin and reedy with panic. “Come here, buddy.”
He took one step towards me, and that’s when the world exploded into a blur of movement. His body lurched, not in a jump or a playful dive, but in a violent, uncontrolled spasm. He threw his head back, his whole body going rigid for a split second before a cascade of frantic, uncoordinated paddling took over his legs. He crashed onto his side on the grass, his legs cycling as if he were trying to run away from something inside his own skin.
A wet, metallic smell hit me, sharp and distinct from the honeysuckle. It was the smell of fear, of something primal and wrong. His jaws snapped open and shut in a rhythmic, terrifying clacking sound, and a stream of saliva, tinged with pink, bubbled from the corner of his mouth.
I collapsed to my knees beside him, the cool, damp grass soaking through my jeans. I didn’t know what to do. The world had become soundless. The high-pitched shriek vanished, replaced by a deafening roar of blood in my ears. All I could see was the frantic, frantic movement of my best friend. The pad of his paws, usually soft and warm against my palm, scratched uselessly at the air.
“No, no, no,” I sobbed, my hands hovering uselessly over his body. He was on his side, his head twisted at an angle that made my stomach turn. His eyes were open, but they were glazed over, vacant, seeing things I couldn’t see. They were the eyes of a dog who was in a world I couldn’t enter.
The silence finally crashed back in, profound and horrifying, broken only by the wet, shuddering sound of his breathing. The paddling stopped. His body relaxed, slumping into the grass as if all the bones had been removed. His chest heaved once, twice, a ragged, desperate pant. He was exhausted. He was terrified.
He blinked, his eyes finding mine again. They were full of confusion. And shame. He lifted his head a few inches off the grass, saw me crying, and immediately tried to wag his tail. A pathetic, weak little thump-thump against the grass.
“I’m here, Gus,” I whispered, my voice breaking. I finally dared to touch him, my hand trembling as I rested it on his side. His heart was pounding so hard I could feel it through my palm. He placed his heavy head on my thigh and let out a long, low groan of pure exhaustion.
I didn’t move for a long time. I just sat there in the middle of the yard, cradling the head of my 80-pound dog, feeling the sun beat down on us, feeling the stickiness of his saliva on my jeans. The air slowly returned to its sweet, honeysuckle scent. The birds sang again. The world had gone back to normal, but ours had just been shattered.
It was that moment, holding him, smelling the grass and the strange metallic tang of him, that I let go of the certainty I’d always had. The certainty that I could protect him from everything. The certainty that “distance” was just a concept for training games, not for the terrifying, unbridgeable gap that had just opened between his body and mine. All I knew was that he needed something I didn’t have. And I had to find it.
I spent the next few days in a haze, sleeping on the floor next to him, watching his every breath. I called the vet, booked an appointment, and spent hours in frantic, obsessive research. When the vet finally looked at me, her expression kind but serious, she told me the name of the monster we had just faced. A seizure. Idiopathic epilepsy. A single word that explained the whys and hows of the terror, but did nothing to fill the void of dread I felt in my gut. That day in the yard was just the first, and the fear of another one was a cold stone that now lived permanently in my chest.
Because once you’ve seen your best friend’s eyes go blank, once you’ve felt his body seize in your arms, you don't just get to go back to normal. You have to learn to live with the fear, and more importantly, you have to learn how to fight it.
That terrifying, helpless feeling is something I wouldn’t wish on any dog owner. After that day, I couldn’t just sit and wait for it to happen again. I dove headfirst into understanding this condition, from the triggers and warning signs to the practical steps you can take in the immediate aftermath and, most importantly, how to build a treatment and prevention plan with your vet. The fear is still there, but knowledge has become our shield. I spent days compiling everything I learned from neurologists, trainers, and my own desperate, sleepless nights of research into a comprehensive guide so that you don’t have to feel that same paralyzing confusion.
After that night, I never slept the same way again. My phone stayed on the nightstand, and I made sure I knew exactly what to do if it ever happened again. I spent every spare moment researching, calling veterinarians, reading studies, and talking to specialists who deal with canine epilepsy every single day. I learned how to spot the warning signs before a seizure hits, what to do in those terrifying first seconds, and how to build a long-term plan to protect your dog from going through it again. I wrote down everything I discovered in a complete guide—not because I'm an expert, but because I lived through the fear and I wish someone had told me all of this before that day in the yard.
Here's the full guide:
https://goldiepulse.blogspot.com/2026/07/distance-obedience-training-games-indoors.html



Comments
Post a Comment